A Brief History
The Nachtwey Livery Stable
116 N. Main St.
Around 1900 116 N. Main Street was the site of the Nachtwey Livery Stable. Looking at the 1912 photo, Henry Nachtwey is standing to the right of the open door with his hands behind his back. The young boy to his left is his grandson, Ervin (Tody) Nachtwey. His son Joseph is standing to the far left in the front of the window.
In later years, Claude and Ervin Nachtwey started a bus line where Nachtwey’s building served as a site for an exclusive bus line from the old Murdock House. In later years, Nachtwey’s building served as a site for an exclusive bus line from the old Murdock House. 116 N Main Street, has been the home of many buildings and businesses which include; a livery stable, movie theater, garage and machine shop, clinic, cooperative, and a fitness center.
An advertisement from the period tells us, Nachtwey has been in the livery business in Shawano for six years and has one of the largest and best kept livery barns in that part of the state. Since 1885 he has been the head agricultural man with the exception of five men in that section of the state and at the present time, he is preparing to do a large business in that line. He is now agent for the traction engine, saw mill and gasoline engines, also a variety of fine buggies and wagons, in fact, he carries the finest selection in that line north of Milwaukee. His livery stable is a model of beauty, a large brick structure with the modern improvements for an up-to-date livery barn. His horses are of the best and his vehicles equally good. The prices he makes are right. He conducts a bus and baggage line and has fine accommodation for the traveling public. Mr. Nachtwey has lived in Shawano County since 1873. He came her from Green Bay and since starting a business, has gains in popularity and is now one of the best men in town.