A Brief History
112-114 S. Main St.
Built in 1902, this building was the home of the Raddant Saloon. In 1949 the Stan and Buds business operated by Stan Tischer and Bud haupt occupied the building for many years until 1991. Other bar and resturant businesses have called the building home since.
From the 1999 National Register of Historic Places Registration application:
This two-story commercial block demonstrates some Queen Anne influences. Like most of the district’s buildings, its most intact features are above the storefront transom area. The building’s second story is dominated by two semi-hexagonal bay windows, each with three historic double-hung windows behind modem storm units. Each bay has a slightly conical roof and a convex lower surface, which is suspended over the sidewalk. On each bay, the three windows are separated from each other and from the brick wall by four wreathed column pilasters, which are surmounted by a simple architrave molding and an egg-and-dart pattern molding. The pilasters rest upon narrow paneled bulkheads adorned with a single rectangular leaf-and flower emblem, which in turn are separated from the bay’s convex underside by a row of egg-and-dart molding. All of these pressed-metal features are original and unaltered.
The building is faced with a red brick veneer, and is surmounted by a simple brick corbeled cornice. Immediately below this cornice is a long band of three courses of dog toothed red brick, framed on all four sides by a single course of contrasting cream brick. Immediately below this band, and immediately above the second story windows, are a row of ten diamond-shaped patterns constructed of cream brick. Between the two bay windows described previously is a single segmented-arched window opening with a rough stone lintel and a row of cream bricks defining the segmented arch. The middle two bricks of this row, however, are red, disrupting the expected pattern. A small stone with the date of construction sits immediately above this window. This window has been boarded up; an identical window beyond the southernmost bay window is in original condition. The lower portions of the bay windows are intersected by the storefront cornice, a wood molding marked at both ends with small gabled consoles. From this cornice extends a non-historic corrugated metal fixed awning; the storefront area below that has been entirely altered.