by Ila Hill Moede
In 1934 the Shawano Theater was established in the former Schweers garage building on the corner of North Main Street and Green Bay Street by Dewey Georege and his wife Charlotte Learned George.
This was the second theater in Shawano after the Crescent Theater, located at 220 S. Main Street, opened in 1915.
Both the Crescent and Shawano Theaters had matinees on Sunday afternoons for 10 cents. The Saturday movie was always a western with Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassiday or Buck Rogers and others. On Saturday nighs they held a “midnight” show” which would show the western and preview of the Sunday movie. Both theaters showed the world news, March of Time, cartoons and various short subjects in addition to the movie.