The historical society has several city directories from decades ago and one is from 1938. In 1938, the population of Shawano County was roughly 35,000 while the City of Shawano was 5,500.
We thought it would be fun to post the directory pages listing business information. Did you ever wonder the following about 1938?
- How many groceries and meat markets existed in the city?
- How many taverns?
- How many doctors and dentists?
- How many carpenters, electricians, and masons?
- How many beauty parlors and barbershops?
- How many insurance companies?
The answers are all right here in the 1938 City of Shawano Directory, take a look!