A Brief History
The Northwestern Hotel
635 S. Main St.
Built in 1905, the Northwestern Hotel is located directly across the street from the Chicago & Northwestern railroad depot. The Northwestern Hotel had an ideal spot for clientele arriving by train. For decades over the last 120 years, this building was a hotel with rooms above the bar and restaurant. Since ending its life as a hotel, many businesses have used the building including, the 400 Bar and El Mariachi Cantina and Grill. The Mahl Hotel, a competior, was across the street to the north.
Architectually, the building is “commercial vernacular” with a moulded metal first floor cornice over the roofline with segmental arch brick lintels. The front of the first floor has been altered with small octagonal windows.